Sunday, March 26, 2006

let me count the ways

My Parents are what you might call Nouveau Riche and when I say Noveau I mean extremely nouveau, like within the last year or two. The act like lottery winners sometimes. They make the strangest purchases one day and the next day refuse to spend any money at all. When it comes to some things they are the cheapest millionaires I know. Sure they don't mind paying to fill up my mother's Escalade Special Edition but god forbid they pay full price for a hotel room. My Dad is constantly looking for excuses to whip out his AARP card for discounts.

I won't lie to you and say that I don't care that they are recent millionaires. I like to milk it for all it's worth. Except, I experience guilt. Something, it seems, my sibilings are immune to. I asked my parents to pay for my personal trainer. They want to see me lose weight so they said they would, but it didn't come with the usual amount of persuading and pestering. I suspected my Father might be having some guilt over buying my sister a brand new truck so I didn't question the lack of resistance. Today when he called we were just chatting, he's all gung ho becuase he'd got himself a new personal trainer and is losing weight like crazy and wants me to be as motivated as him. It was nice to have him encouraging me and being supportive rather than putting me down. He just casually slips into the conversation that he and my mother will be here sometime in May and he wants me to try and book a cottage for vacation on PEI. I asked if he knew the exact dates yet and he said he wasn't sure because he was waiting to hear about the offer that they made on the property my sister wants. I nearly lost it! My sister and I have both been house shopping in the last year, never mind that my sister currently lives in a house already paid for by my parents (and she doesn't pay rent). I sent my parent's the MLS listings for about a dozen houses (not to mention all the places we went to see). All of the places I looked at were places that H-man and I could afford on our own if we had a downpayment in hand right now. None of them were over 250 grand. My sister on the other hand has only shown my parents one property. The Asking price: 1.5 Million dollars! So she gets a brand new truck just a few months ago and now they are buying her a 1.5 million dollar property! How the fuck do I get in on that kind of deal? This is just another thing to add on to the list of why my parents are assholes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home